[uClibc]Putting uclibc in a linux distribution?

Rob Landley landley at trommello.org
Wed Sep 11 17:26:43 UTC 2002

I have a small linux distribution that's just used in-house at my company
right now, but which I plan to GPL soon.  It's called "firmware linux", and
puts the whole OS into a single zisofs (compressed cd-rom) image that goes on
the hard drive (in the "var" partition) and gets loopback mounted on bootup
as the root partition.  Everything that needs to stay modifiable is a symlink
into the "var" partition (generally /dev/hda1), and the "home" partition is
another mount point for modificable stuff.  The advantage is that you can
upgrade the whole OS by replacing a single file, hence the name "firmware
linux".  This is a "build from source" system (no package management, for
obvious reasons, but just twiddle the build scripts and source tarballs and
rerun "build.sh" to get a fresh system, with firmware file and install cd, or
you could chroot/boot straight into the destination directory and keep the
root partition modifiable system if you want to debug stuff....)

Right now it's using glibc, which sucketh mightily.  (I could explain why at
length, but will refrain.)  I'm looking into replacing it with uclibc, and
was wondering what kind of land mines I'm likely to run into?

So far it doesn't have any desktop elements yet, just a modified linux from
scratch base plus a couple dozen server and utility packages (apache, samba,
bind, python, ssh, iptables, traceroute, db, gdb, hdparm, dhcpcd, dhcpd, ppp,
rp-pppoe, lynx, bc/dc, readline, zlib, rsync, cdrecord (mkisofs), zisofs,
gnupg, ntop and its prerequisites (libpng, gd, libpcab, gdbm), ntp, eject, a
partridge in a pear tree, and some home-grown code I'm not too worried about
being able to fix if it breaks.  Anything there already known not to work?

I can't find instructions on how a native uclibc system is supposed to be set
up.  There's a cross-compiler wrapper, but that's not what I'm looking for.
(I've already got a static build phase that uses whatever the host system's
libc is to give me a static environment I can chroot into and rebuild
everything, and I'm happy with that.  I want it to rebuild from itself, and
from red hat/suse/debian/etc.)  So I want to have uclibc be the default libc
for the new system, and build gcc so that it knows uclibc is the default
glibc.  Anything in particular I should know before I wade in?

I'm shiping a version of this project that uses glibc (what works now) before
messing with the switch, so it'll be a couple weeks (end of the month,
probably) before I can devote serious time to this, but I thought I'd ask
around a bit first...

I'm not exactly looking for a "stripped down to the bare metal embedded
system".  The firmware image still has the man pages in it and everything.  I
just don't like glibc (the FSF took over 800 lines of C to write "cat", but
that's NOTHING compared to the bloat and obscurity in glibc) , and think that
a simpler implementation that does the same thing is inherently better.
(I'll be looking at busybox as well, eventually, although if it had a "build
seperate little tiny executables" mode I'd be happier.  One nice thing about
zisofs format: no 4k round-up on file size. :)

Rob