[uClibc]awk replacement for initfini.pl -- More Perl O/T

John van V. john_van_v at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 13 21:56:38 UTC 2002

Yes perl is bloated, I use perl 5.5.3 for personal stuff.  Much smaller and
many scripts croak under perl 5.6 ~~ I shudder to think where they are going w/
perl 6.

Also I am interested in a new perl model that goes and gets the necessary
libs/modules on the fly as it needs them and removes the unneeded ones w/ a
least-recently-used algo.

This is my ThinMan model though Ruby would be much preferred as it is a pure OO
successor of perl, based on perl and has lightweight code like perl.

I have long campaigned to have perl built as a text-only virt mach built into
the kernel or as a module.  I believe Java does it this way.

Unfortunately, the perl community personifies the term "too smart for your own
good" ~~ many consider it the best language there is, and it is the only one I
know besides shell, spec KSH.

I will bring up KSH on uClib when I get time to send David Korn a letter.
Apparently there as been a busybox type effort over there at ATT.

John

--- Christian MICHON <christian_michon at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> > I often thought of rewritting it but never had the time. Would be somewhat
> > useful because a while ago I made a "hint" to compile uClibc a bit like
> glibc
> <snip>
>
> I'll make sometime for it tomorrow morning. The files to be
> modified/generated
> are not too complicated. The only caveats I foresee is that awk doesn't have
> nice capabilities to die if it cannot open the files, as perl would...
>
> Anyway, look out for the file in uclibc tomorrow, unless somebody does it
> before ;)
>
> > So in the hint, for now I'm forced to tell people to compile a static perl
> > to build uClibc and later, recompile perl against shared uClibc.
> >
> > Annoying ;)
>
> I agree too, but not because I prefer awk to perl. Mostly because perl, even
> linked to uclibc, needs more than 20Mb in its latest releases.
>
> Christian

=====
John van Vlaanderen--