[uClibc]crtbegin.o/crtend.o?

Miles Bader miles at gnu.org
Fri Oct 11 13:50:20 UTC 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 04:46:58AM -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:
> crtbegin.o and crtend.o are for constructors and destructor
> support, and are provided by gcc.  For some reason your system is
> not including the gcc objects into the link.

Do you know when gcc started doing this?  The standard version of gcc on the
v850 is 2.90 or thereabouts, which is pretty old.  [I don't like this
situation either, and have been trying to change it, but due to fuckups by
both NEC and Redhat/cygnus, the changes for the v850e processor have _just_
been folded into gcc CVS, and that version generates worse code than the
internal 2.90 version I usually use.  It will be a while before it's
reasonable for people to use a modern gcc on the v850(e).]

> Now in your care, where v850e isn't likely to be doing shared
> libs soon

[I'd certainly like to fix this, but it's more than a days work (gcc on the
v850 doesn't even support pic code!)]

> Perhaps then we need a flag to specify if an arch is going to be doing ELF
> shared libs and needs proper ctors/dtor support.  In your case, where you
> probably don't need that, --uclibc-no-ctors is going to be a better
> default...

I'd say so.

Could you implement this, or alternatively, tell me how you think it should
be done (e.g. a flag in Config, a special header file, etc), and I'll do it.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.