[uClibc]crt0.o vs crt1.o

Stefan Allius allius at atecom.com
Thu Nov 28 10:19:58 UTC 2002

Hi Erik,

my understanding of the crt0/1.o stuff is, that crt0.o is used on systems
which didn't support constructors/destructors and are often linked staticly
(calling uClibc_main on uClibc systems).

On new systems, like ELF tagets, C++ targets, etc.., the compiler normally
uses crt1.o combined with crt[i/n].o and crt[begin/end].o to support the
constructors (calling uClibc_start_main on uClibc systems).

With your new configuration option, you switch between the two versions of
the crt?.o's. Why we don't build the two version all times? I think the
nicest way is to build a crt0.o which call uClibc_main and a crt1.o which
call uClibc_start_main.

So we can support both calling conventions without reconfiguring/rebuilding
the uClibc. A compiler (and the uClibc wrapper) can decide between crt0.o
crt1.o. For the GCC/uClibc toolchains, the crt0/1.o decision can depend on
compiler options like: -static, -shared or -nostartfiles.

Maybe we can offer a config option which allows us to remove the crt1.o by a
link to the crt0.o. So we can support badly configured compilers, which want
a crt1.o on systems without constructors/destructors.
==> No CTORS/DTORS support by crt1.o [Y/n] ?

What do you think ?

If you want I will make a patch, which build the discribed versions of crt0.o
and crt1.o.

Bye Stefan

--
Stefan Allius