[uClibc]Building build/root..

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Sun Nov 17 20:37:31 UTC 2002

On Sat Nov 16, 2002 at 11:36:15PM -0700, Jean-Henri Duteau wrote:
> Erik,
>
> I'm building a busybox/tinylogin/uClibc test environment.  After the
> success I had with your rootdisk, building microwindows and gpm and some
> other stuff, I thought I'd investigate buildroot.  I'm building one piece
> at a time and I've just finished building the minimum stuff --
> uclibc_toolchain, busybox, uclibc, and tinylogin.  It works quite well and
> I'm impressed with all three of those tools.  Kudos to you (and the others
> who helped) for all the hard work.

Glad to help.

> I have some questions/comments about the whole procedure and I thought I
> might as well ask them publicly...
>
> Why, as part of the uclib_toolchain, do we build a new binutils?  It seems
> to me that the existing binutils would probably do.  That was a long
> involved process that seemed slightly unnecessary to me.

I build binutils because it is needed to build a cross compiler,
and allows buildroot to target arm, mips, etc by just changing
the ARCH in the top level makefile.

>                                                           BTW, binutils is
> up to 2.13 now.

I know.  binutils 2.13 generates buggy code on arm, and works
just fine for me, so I have not updated binutils.

> Somewhere in the uClibc build, there's a 'ln' command that failed for me
> due to permission denied.  I'm building this on a 1GHz Duron, so the

This is normal and expected.  If it were an error, I would have
made it abort the build.  That symlink is designed for use in a
different sort of system.

> Again, thanks for the work you've done on this C library.

No problem.