[uClibc]Building build/root..

Jean-Henri Duteau jeand at telusplanet.net
Sun Nov 17 06:36:15 UTC 2002

Erik,

I'm building a busybox/tinylogin/uClibc test environment.  After the
success I had with your rootdisk, building microwindows and gpm and some
other stuff, I thought I'd investigate buildroot.  I'm building one piece
at a time and I've just finished building the minimum stuff --
uclibc_toolchain, busybox, uclibc, and tinylogin.  It works quite well and
I'm impressed with all three of those tools.  Kudos to you (and the others
who helped) for all the hard work.

I have some questions/comments about the whole procedure and I thought I
might as well ask them publicly...

Why, as part of the uclib_toolchain, do we build a new binutils?  It seems
to me that the existing binutils would probably do.  That was a long
involved process that seemed slightly unnecessary to me.  BTW, binutils is
up to 2.13 now.

Somewhere in the uClibc build, there's a 'ln' command that failed for me
due to permission denied.  I'm building this on a 1GHz Duron, so the
messages just scroll by.  It doesn't seem to have broken anything so I'm
not sure what exactly it is.  I *think* it was trying to link libuClibc
from the build/root directory to /lib and, since I was building as myself,
that failed.

My other questions are more to do with busybox so I'll bring them up in
that forum instead.

Again, thanks for the work you've done on this C library.

Sincerely,

Jean Duteau