[uClibc]Building uClibc for a stand-alone system.

jeand at telusplanet.net jeand at telusplanet.net
Fri Nov 15 22:09:17 UTC 2002

> So, I've built a system based entirely on uClibc. It does not have a
> compiler/binutils, but it does have the entire set of GNU {file,sh,
> text,find,diff}utils, bash, util-linux, mutt, tcpdump, nmap, TinyX,
> perl, elvis, xv, ImageMagick and much more.

That's a good list of stuff.  I won't be needing TinyX or anything like that as
I'm trying to build some SVGAlib stuff.  But that's promising.

> So this little list should give you an idea of how much you can do (i.e.
> alot). If you use the toolchain instead of the wrappers, there are few
> limits on what you can compile (C++ support in the wrappers is rather
> flakey). Here are the rubs:
>
> FWIW, I wouldn't use uClibc for a desktop. There's too much heartache
> involved. I love small applications (my background is in DOS assembler),
> but with RAM going $40 for 128MB, you can't justify the time for the
> benefits. Maybe in 6 months it will be a different story.

It's not for a desktop.  Well, it is, but not really. 8-)  We're building a
smart appliance and before we spend money on support contracts for embedded
linux, I'm investigating whether we (my partners and I) have the know-how to do
this on our own.  Right now, I'm trying to recreate the appliance environment
on my desktop (actually, my laptop), so we can get an idea of what can be done
and what can't be done.

My initial hope was to just build an LFS system, substituting uClibc for
glibc.  I suspect that I can still do that, but I'm going to need to get some
static debugging tools built to find out why I'm getting that SEGFAULT.

I need the development stuff on the system at first because I'll need to build
all the real stuff that we're interested in.  And, strangely enough, I think
the difficulty in building a uClibc system from scratch is less so than mucking
about with a cross-compiler (i.e. the toolchain).

I'm just hoping that someone has hints for when I get stuck.  I take it that
you didn't actually build a uClibc-gcc.  So you used the toolchain to compile
all of your required packages?  Why'd you choose to do that instead of
the "normal" LFS route?

Jean