[uClibc]Building uClibc for a stand-alone system.

Jean-Henri Duteau jeand at telusplanet.net
Fri Nov 15 19:17:51 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I'm very impressed with the size and capability of uClibc.  I'm hoping to
use it in my Linux environment as we're investigating some product
development stuff.

I'm building my Linux environment from scratch.  If anyone's been to
www.linuxfromscratch.org, that's what I'm doing.  I've done it umpteen
times before (okay, 3 times, but that's pretty close to umpteen), but never
with uClibc obviously.

After some patching of the Makefile and the Rules.mak, I was able to get
uClibc to build completely without error.  That was quite the amazing feat,
if I say so myself.  The next thing after building the C library is to
build the compiler.  I was trying to build gcc-3.2.  Part of the gcc build
process makes some executables to generate header files and such.  That's
where the process fails.  The programs run to completion, it's just that
when they end, they SEGFAULT.  It's like the clean up of __uclib_start_main
does something bad.

Unfortunately, I can't debug it because I don't have a debugger yet.  I
don't have much of anything yet!

First question then is has anyone built a linux from scratch using uClibc
0.9.16 and gcc-3.2?  There's a tip on someone who did it using 0.9.14 and
gcc-2.95.3 but both of those are different enough that it doesn't help too
much.

Next question concerns buildroot.  That looks interesting, but I can't find
any documentation of what exactly it's meant to do.  It seems that
buildroot may be exactly what I'm looking for -- an initial linux system
that uses uClibc that I can then add the stuff I need to it.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jean Duteau