[uClibc]Busybox and Tinylogin vs uClibc: "segmentation fault"

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Nov 12 21:37:34 UTC 2002

On Tue Nov 12, 2002 at 09:54:34PM +0100, Stefano Costa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure this is the correct list for this item, but since it
> seems to me that the topic is rather generic for ARM development I
> just try here.
>
> I recently built the complete ARM toolchain and Linux kernel for a
> CDB89712 following the Roland Seuhs directions (with a few hints that
> I'm planning to describe in our website soon). It seems to be
> working, except for Busybox and Tinylogin: when called, both give the
> message "segmentation fault".
>
> To test this we first loaded the kernel (the one built here) and a
> working root filesystem found at:
>
> http://ttestasecca.free.fr/cdb89712/
>
> and then added the "busybox" executable built here in a target
> directory. Busybox was built starting both from the latest cvs
> sources, the latest "stable" sources (0.60.5) and also from 0.60.2 to
> be sure, using uClibc and "DOSTATIC". I also tried to build some
> simple "hello.c" using the same uClibc and *it works* fine on
> CDB89712.

Since you have checked several versions of busybox, it's a
reasonable guess that busybox is working fine.  So lets operate
on the assumption that it is either your kernel, your version of
uClibc, or your toolchain that is broken.

What version of the arm-linux kernel are you using?

What version of gcc and binutils are you using to compile
everything?  gcc-3.2?  binutils-2.12.1?

What version of uClibc?  0.9.16?  If so, do you see the same
segfault when building vs uClibc 0.9.15?

The first step is to narrow down the problem so you can try
and find which compenent is at fault,