[uClibc]gcc 2.9.5 or 3.2 , which compiler to use ??

Arne Bernin arne at alamut.de
Sun Nov 3 04:14:24 UTC 2002

Hi there,

i am just wondering if there are any real advantages or disadantages
using either gcc3.2 or gcc2.9.5 for compiling uClibc and applications
for it. What i am trying to do is to build a buildsystem like buildroot
for compiling a small router distribution, that will run only on i386
for now. I noticed that buildroot uses gcc3.2 and that the size of the
binaries is a bit different from the ones compiled with 2.9.5 (most
binaries are a bit smaller, but the resulting gzipped tar is a bit
larger...). Well that are the differences I found so far ;-)

Are the binaries compiled with either of these versions compatible with
the other ones , is it possible for example to use the uClibc conpiled
with 2.9.5 with binaries compiled with gcc3.2 (which use the same uClibc
versions of course) ?

Any Information helping me to see a bit clearer is welcomed

thanks and regards,

	arne