[uClibc]Native uClibc toolchains

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Fri May 24 15:27:48 UTC 2002

I am very pleased to announce the immediate availability of
native gcc/uClibc toolchains for gcc-2.95, gcc-3.0.4, and
(ta-da!) gcc-3.1.  These toolchains build real gcc cross
compilers (i.e. not just a wrapper) and create executables
linked vs uClibc.

The gcc-3.1 and gcc-3.0.4 compiler work just fine for me with
full C and C++ support.  The gcc-2.95 compiler also works fine,
but is currently limited to just C support, since the C++ support
in gcc-2.95 is very closely tied to glibc and needs a lot more
effort before it will work with uClibc.  Patches warmly accepted.

As usual, I am _not_ distributing binaries.  To build a toolchain
for yourself, grab and unpack a tarball from

    http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/toolchain/
or the european mirror at
    http://de.busybox.net/downloads/uClibc/toolchain/

edit the top part of the Makefile to set your TARGET_PATH, and
the ARCH you wish to targer.  Once you have that done, just run
'make' and wait while the build system works it's magic for you.
Be aware that these will download all the needed source code,
(which could take a very long time depending on how fast your net
connection is).

I have included some C++ tests which I have used to test the
compiler, and which now work just fine for me.  You might want
to use them to give your new compiler/uClibc a quick sanity check.

Have fun!