[uClibc]-msoft-float questions

Shane Nay shane at minirl.com
Tue May 7 00:07:57 UTC 2002

On Monday 06 May 2002 15:08, Kyle Harris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build an application with arm-uclibc-gcc. I'm using
> the -msoft-float compiler option. During the link phase I get lots
> of errors similar to:
>
> undefined reference to `__muldf3`
>
> I noticed uclibc is built without -msoft-float, but attempting to
> build this way also fails. Can someone tell what I need to do to
> support a processor without an FPU?

Do you have the float library for ARM?  (libfloat)  If so do your
linker scripts for -msoft-float include it, and are you adding
-msoft-float while attempting to link uClibc.  (You need to specify
that option during both the compile phase and the link phase so the
linker scripts do "the right thing")

Generally, most people use hardfloat on ARM, and let the exceptions
go up to the kernel, and the kernel does the arithmetic.  Based on
the size of the libfloat library, this method is advantagous if size
is an issue.  If floating point performance is "the prime directive"
then using softfloat is better.

Thanks,
Shane Nay.