[uClibc]Re: sudden data bloat

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Fri Mar 22 08:42:18 UTC 2002

Erik Andersen <andersen at codepoet.org> writes:
> Are you now building uClibc with DODEBUG enabled?  Otherwise the
> assert messages should all disappear...

Yes, but I was using DODEBUG on monday too... :-/

The reason I'm using DODEBUG is because I want compiler debugging info
to be generated, which doesn't effect executable size because it's all
stripped out by elf2flt anyway (but remains in the .elf file that gets
fed as input to elf2flt, which I can load with gdb).

I'd rather _not_ enable things like assertions, because the obviously
do have an effect on executable size.

I think there should be multiple variables in Options, with one meaning
strictly `use -g so that object files have debugging info', and the
other being a more vague `turn on lots of debugging crap even if it
bloats executables'.

> The error messages are getting pulled in by Manuel's new printf
> code, which now seems to have "%m" enabled by defalt, when then
> calls strerror(), which pulls in all the error messages.  In the
> previous printf implementation, support for "%m" was disabled by
> default...

I see.  Ah, printf's always such a pain because of things like that...

I guess the question is how many real-world programs use *printf but
don't pull in the error strings otherwise...

> $ size hello_glibc hello.with_m.with_float hello.with_m.no_float hello.no_m.no_float
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>  359469   10716    3976  374161   5b591 hello_glibc

Wow.  That's absurd.

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'