[uClibc]The XFress 86

Christian MICHON christian_michon at yahoo.fr
Tue Mar 12 04:41:22 UTC 2002

Hi Erik,

> Hmm.  no, you shouldn't need to do that.
Oh yes, unfortunately. The gcc that results after
libio crash is not working. I tried to compile
a MemSpeed.c (quite a good test) and it complains
about not finding _start_ etc... You can find
MemSpeed.c somewhere on the web.

What I need to do then is to go to i386-linux-gcc/gcc
and do a simple "make install"  to get things to
work. I forgot to mention I prefer binutils-2.11.2.

> Yup.
Another thing missing is a symbolic link cc to gcc
so that the imake of X11 gets compiled with the
toolchain.

> I made a few updates to the toolchain last night (I
> now use the
> latest from CVS for example).  I hope to finish it
> up today.  If
> you can show me some examples of where it fails or
> anything I am
> doing wrong, I'd be glad to fix things,
I have no clue yet, but I tried to reproduce the
99% success of yesterday on another PC, and it
did not work. I later realized I did not compile
the toolchain as root, which is needed to get
the link right in /lib to ld-uClibc.so.0... :(

Your perl script does something about this in
your toolchain Makefile, but why do you point to
/lib for your binutils  and not the lib in the
toolchain ?
I also notice the binutils are still somehow linked
to libc.6.so :(

As for X11 4.2.0 / Xfbdev, I'm almost there, but
the final error message I got was:
gcc -o Xfbdev -O2 -fno-strength-reduce <...snip...>
-lz -lm
/exp/toolchain/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to
'main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]:*** [Xfbdev] Error 1

It's sooooo close... yet so far.