[uClibc]The XFress 86

Christian MICHON christian_michon at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 11 10:33:57 UTC 2002

> Hi,Christian:
>   Do you succed to compile the Xfree86 now?
>  I donot know why the libgc.a is needed to compile?

Hi Chen,

No, no success yet.

I managed to build a toolchain as suggested by Erik
(thanks for the tip, by the way). But the main
differences are:
 * I prefer gcc-2.95.3 (less broken)
 * I use kernel 2.4.18 (and not 2.4.17)

I got something almost clean. Due to the libio
broken, I had to do the final make install of gcc
by hand. Is this correct Erik ?

Now, Xfree4.2.0 compilation goes further, but I still
have miscellaneous problems, which I should be able
to solve in a few days. The final ld on the Xfbdev
(yes, I'm able to go that far...) is failing due
to wrong call to ld and not to i386-linux-ld.

I'm now playing with cross.def to improve the
situation. Any suggestions are welcome.
The former libgcc.a error message was due I believe
to native compilation, and not cross-compilation.
The toolchain from Erik is I believe a cross compiler.

Rgds,
Christian

PS: Erik, your build is still not a true bootstrap.
It may break in a few places. At stage4 or 5 (I
need to rebuild to confirm), gcc is said not to
be able to build executables. :(
But since I progressed that far with your makefile,
maybe a true bootstrap is not needed...