[uClibc]Performance/profiling

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Thu Jun 27 18:19:43 UTC 2002

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 07:13:25PM +0200, Erik Gustavsson wrote:
> I'm working on a linux-based digital music player, and I was hoping to use uclibc (because of it's size, obviously). Unfortunately my main app (which currently only supports MP3, using the MAD decoder) went from 9% to 24% CPU usage on my development system when I switched from glibc to uclibc. This makes it too slow for the target system.

It would be helpful to know what functions get linked in by your
decoder.  But one thought I had is that if you're using stdio to
read and write data, some of the speed difference could be due to
buffering.  By default, uClibc uses 256 byte buffers on streams.

> I'm thinking (hoping) it's one or two functions that are horribly unoptimized that I can fix or work around but unfortunately I can't seem to profile the code with uclibc,  at least not the "usual" way. Is there any profiling support in uclibc? I couldn't find any information on this using google...

One of the things on Erik's TODO list is to get profiling working.
I've asked him about that myself.  ;-)

Manuel