[uClibc]Question on syslogd/uclibc compatibility

Joel Coltoff joel at wmi.com
Mon Jul 29 16:18:59 UTC 2002

Hi,

My purpose here is to start a dialog and solicit input from those
more knowledgeable than me. I recently switched over to uclibc
and my syslog doesn't work anymore. login messages are written
to the console and other messages are written to the great beyond.

The CVS logs for uClibc/libc/misc/syslog/syslog.c show a change from
opening the socket as SOCK_STREAM to SOCK_DGRAM. The latest CVS
of busybox/sysklogd/syslogd.c still has the socket created as SOCK_STREAM.

I took a ***quick*** peek at the code for glibc and it looks like
it first tries SOCK_DGRAM and if that fails tries SOCK_STREAM.

There's a few issues here. We want uClibc to stay small so that argues
against a retry mechanism. However we want to be able to recompile old
releases and keep them working. What's the best approach to fixing
this? Or do I have it completely wrong and it works for everyone but me?

I'm running busybox-0.61.pre and uclibc 0.9.12. The uclibc is from Friday
and busybox is from 2-3 weeks ago.

Thanks.

--
Joel Coltoff

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
    -- W. B. Yeats