[uClibc]Problems gettings going with uclibc

Joel Coltoff joel at wmi.com
Thu Jul 25 11:34:27 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm having some problems getting my system running with uclibc.
My system runs fine with glibc. I'm running mipsel 2.4.18.

I hope I cover all the important details here.
    The uclibc gcc is version 3.1. It was built using the stable
	release of uclibc (0.9.12).
    The include files are the ones that come with uclibc and not
	the ones in the glibc toolchain.
    The build needed human intervention. After failing while trying
        to make .../gcc-final/mipsel-linux/libiberty I poked through
	the config.log files and saw that it wanted to have ranlib
	run on .../build/gcc-final/gcc/libgcc.a. I did this and restarted
	the make.

This is what is happening. Busybox starts up and I can do some of the
stuff you'd expect. I'm using the builtin ash as my shell. If I try to
copy a file I get an error.

    freebird > cp hosts junk
    cp: unable to stat `junk': (null)

I put a trace in cp [ printf( "errno after stat: %d\n", errno()); ]
and the value is 717054864. I also have problems with mount

    freebird > mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.120:/lc/apps /mnt
    mount: Mounting 192.168.1.120:/lc/apps on /mnt failed: (null)

and insmod

    freebird > insmod unix.o
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-ra/kernel/net/unix/unix.o
    insmod: kernel: QM_SYMBOLS: (null)

My mounts probably fail since they use modules. I don't know this
to be the full extent of my problems but I suspect they are all
caused by the same thing. Does anyone care to offer a suggestion
for where to look first?

Thanks.

--
Joel Coltoff

The beginning of wisdom is the definitions of terms.
    -- Socrates