[uClibc]Re: uC-libc and uClibc

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Fri Jul 19 01:32:41 UTC 2002

mjn3 at codepoet.org (Manuel Novoa III) writes:
> I call it ancient because there are a number of standards violations,
> missing features, and just plain bugs in the old uC-libc that have been
> fixed in uClibc for a long time.  One of the first things I did when I
> got involved with uClibc (almost two years ago) was to rewrite printf.

That's all true, but on the other hand, the standard printf is a
rather feature-bloated thing...

It would be nice to if we had some kind of clever compiler support which
would replace `simple' printf calls with a series of calls to more
primitive functions, which wouldn't drag in all the printf support.
Unfortunately it seems to way to hard to do this for typical programs,
since the presence of any kind of `layering', i.e. user functions that
accept a printf string and call v*printf, screws things up -- and such
layering is very common.

Sigh.

-Miles
--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.