[uClibc]general question about uclibc-gcc-wrapper

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Jul 10 04:44:38 UTC 2002

On Wed Jul 10, 2002 at 12:45:54AM +0200, Marc R. Wetzel wrote:
> Hi Eric,   --   Hi guys,
>
> I' trying to use ucLibc to build some kind of embedded
> system for my special need.
>
> I can perfecly build and install uclibc on my system.
> I can use uclibc , by using the gcc-wrapper for my application
> by editing the makefiles just fine.

Cool.  Sounds like you are off to a fine start.  :)

> But:  if I try to use it to build app's like pppd it doesn't work.
>
> I'm using suse 7.0, gcc-2.95 on a i686-linux system. I build and installed
> uclibc as described in
> the install-readme, the only thing I changed in the linked config was to
> enable shadow passwords.
> I also did the 'export PATH=/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/bin:$PATH'
> But: afaik the cc used in my compile-runs after that is not the wrapper but
> the real
> cc on my system. I found the wrapper cc in
> /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/bin   and not in
> /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/bin, is this right?

I recently changed the toolchain default install around a
little bit, so now the cross toolchain binaries (i.e.
i386-uclibc-gcc and friends) are installed by default now
in /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/bin, and the "normal" toolchain
binaries (i.e. gcc, ld, and friends) are installed into
/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/bin

Of course, you can easily change your Config file to reverse
those locations back to how they used to be.

So if you set PATH to 'export PATH=/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/bin:$PATH'
and then compile using 'CC=/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/bin/cc' it
should work fine....

> Greetings and hey: nice work.

<grin>  Thanks!