[uClibc]about latest cvs linking changes

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Jan 16 17:24:45 UTC 2002

On Wed Jan 16, 2002 at 10:03:19AM +0100, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:44:21 -0700, Erik Andersen <andersen at codepoet.org>
> wrote:
>

> >Ok, I just found the problem.  The version of binutils I was
> >using when I made the change was doing a good job at reading my
>
> >To fix it, I added -Bdynamic to the link line to tell ld that I
> >really want libc linked dynamically.  This avoids the need for a
>
> Yes, now I get shared libs, but for libdl-0.9.8.so which is still static,
> but it's just a matter of editing ldso/libdl/Makefile.

Oops.  Looks like I missed that one.  I shouldn't try to code
when I've had just 6 hours of sleep in the last two days...

> There's another problem, though.
>
> Red Hat 6.x / glibc-2.1.2-11:
> I had to undef UNIX98PTY_ONLY to make it compile, otherwise:

In this case, the glibc part isn't relevant (not used).  What
kernel version were you using?  Your kernel does not support
Unix 98 ptys...

> ptsname.c:84: #error "UNIX98PTY_ONLY requested but TIOCGPTN is undefined."
> ptsname.c: In function `ptsname_r':
> ptsname.c:69: warning: unused variable `ptyno'
> make[2]: *** [ptsname.o] Error 1

I just changed the message to:
#error UNIX98PTY_ONLY enabled but TIOCGPTN ioctl not supported by your kernel.

If the kernel you are using to compile uClibc with does not
support this feature, all you can do is disable it...