[uClibc]Re: uclibc tool installation

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Fri Feb 1 07:58:33 UTC 2002

On Fri Feb 01, 2002 at 04:42:16PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

> I think this kind of misses the point (though I haven't seen the
> changes): even now, I can easily avoid problems if I remember to do the
> appropriate magic -- but I don't _want_ to have to remember, I just want
> to say `make install' and have it do the right thing.
>
> Since I _never_ want to install these aliases, some setting in Config to
> suppress the installation of them would be much more convenient for me
> (you can make the default whatever you want, though I think having the
> aliases is somewhat dangerous).

Lets step back a moment and talk why.  I wrote a cross platform
ldd utility for uClibc, since the system one fails to work at
best, when TARGET_ARCH == NATIVE_ARCH, and segfaults otherwise.
So the system ldd is useless on uClibc apps.  I wrote a
mini-readelf, mostly since I found it useful to have it installed
on targets while messing with the libraries, so when things broke
(which they did often in the early days) I could get an idea of
what went wrong.

So, is it ldd or readelf or both that you object to.  I can
certainly see the case for not installing readelf to the host
system (since the host system will surely have the full readelf
from binutils installed).