[uClibc]How to make a v850(e)-elf cross compiler from the gcc3.2-uclibc-toolchain

Anders Boegild sredna at mip.sdu.dk
Wed Dec 11 11:20:26 UTC 2002

As a part of our bachelors project (a two-man project, where we are
building a small robot-vision system) my buddy has build the hardware
platform wich is a NEC v850/MA1 w. 256 KB flash and 10KB ram, attached
to that is 16MB SD-RAM, a phillips I2C controller, a 640x480 pixel color
cam, two hobby servo's and a MAX232 for rs232 serial comm.  The system
is programmed by writing to NEC's flash with a NEC flashMASTER programmer.
My part of the project is to write some image segmentation and simple
recognition, so the camera mounted on the servo's can follow, say, a
yellow ball. The plan is to code it as a 'monolithic' program -no
kernel. The functionality I need is really nothing more than parts of
the math.h (cos,sin,fabs,pow) and printf (wich should work if i code the
write() function ) - malloc() is not a must, I shuld be fine with just
defining some static arrays

Our, first cross compiler was for the plain v850-elf target and based on
gcc-3.2, binutils-2.13, newlib-1.10.0 and a small linker-script to
define the mem-layout and run init-code.  It was easy to build with the
--with-newlib option.  But it's not acceptable not to use the hw mul and
div of the v850e. Unfortunately newlib won't compile for the v850e-elf (
says target not supported and the v850e is not in it's config.sub, or am
I wrong here? )

So, is uClibc the right choice? and if so, a little guidence on how to
compile it would be nice.
We have considered uClinux, but we think it's sort of an overkill for
what we are doing, and we would probably spend to much time on making it
work (?)

Regards
Anders, denmark