[uClibc]uClibc-based server

Bruce J.A. Nourish kode187 at kode187.net
Wed Dec 11 04:47:08 UTC 2002

I've rolled several customized uClibc systems from scratch, so perhaps I
can throw in 2 cents.

To speak firstly of speed vs. size: I'm going to go out an a limb here
and say that for systems with <64MB RAM, for any non-trivial
application, small size == speed. On these old systems (say, early
Pentium or less), your bottlenecks will be slow data busses (ISA) and
antediluvian hard drives. Furthermore, you state that your distribution
will be concerned with network servers. On almost any such application,
the bottleneck is network speed, not processor speed. The memory you
save by using uClibc will go towards something rather more useful, like
a disk cache, so you don't have to wait a year for your PIO-mode-3 hard
drive to get the data. Or it may prevent your program code from bieng
paged out, so it doesn't have to be paged in (at great expense) later.

As for your troubles with -lnsl: I'm not quite sure why you need this
(I've always managed to avoid it), but if you like, I'll take a look at
your problem off list. This is. an example of some of the heartache
you're letting yourself in for. However, if you intend to run stuff like
MySQL and Apache on a 386, uClibc is really your best (only?) option.

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <kode187 at kode187.net>