[uClibc]Re: malloc, munmap, etc...

Jon Nelson jnelson at jamponi.net
Thu Dec 5 17:15:38 UTC 2002

On 5 Dec 2002, Miles Bader wrote:

> Jon Nelson <jnelson at jamponi.net> writes:
> > > The other thing that may contribute to memory usage, but which is still
> > > arguably not a leak, is heap fragmentation.  This varies widely
> > > depending on how the application uses malloc/free, and is probably
> > > impossible to get rid of entirely, but seeing some debugging output
> > > might help identify pathological cases.
> >
> > Ah, interesting!  I wonder if dmalloc or valgrind have heap
> > fragmentation detector thingies. Hmmmmmm.
>
> That might be useful, but keep in mind that fragmentation is the result
> of interaction between the behavior of the allocation and the algorithms
> used by the allocator, so even if such tools don't show anything, it
> could still occur on another platform.

Can you suggest a means of testing this, at least for the x86 platform?
I have access to the uClibc buildroot stuff (slightly broken lately when
memory debugging is enabled), and of course a few flavors of gcc and
glibc.

--
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and

Jon Nelson <jnelson at jamponi.net>
C and Python Code Gardener