[uClibc]Re: Tiny C Compiler!

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Aug 20 03:24:36 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 10:43:04AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> hooh pxw <electrorb at yahoo.com> writes:
> > Do make Native uClibc/Tcc-0.9.10 toolchain.
> >
> > why?
> > Actually, Same reason why uclibc made instead of using glibc.
> > small size(the golden rule), fast compile speed, etc, ...
> > anyway, because it is small.
>
> Do you mean to compile user-applications, or to compile uClibc?

It would be an interesting project to develop a compiler that
compiles to space-efficient bytecode instead of assembly.  It
wouldn't be too difficult to make it completely transparent
with linked C code.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure one can develop
a bytecode significantly more efficient than i386 binary code.

(But then, not everyone is using i386, I suppose.)

One obvious compression technique would be "pull the next N
instructions from ${here}", which can't really be done by
existing processors, and is one of the techniques used by gzip.

Coupled with a very small, fast bytecode interpreter, one would
get a slightly smaller and much slower system.  Perhaps it would
be better to uncompress real binary code on the fly.

dave...