[uClibc]xfree86 & uClibc

Christian MICHON christian_michon at yahoo.fr
Thu Aug 15 08:50:19 UTC 2002

> Does anyone has build instructions to build a full featured X (not
> KDrive/TinyX) linked with the uClibC ?
> It's a major obstacle in the creation of a micro linux distribution for the
> Via Eden platform.

Arnaud,

I don't get it...

You want uclibc for via eden, fully compatible x86 => size matters to you
You don't want Kdrive/TinyX => size doesn't matter anymore

When it comes to size constraints, I would understand the use of uclibc.
Why not using glibc directly then ?

Please have a look back to this mailing list's archives. I posted a few
host.def files for Xfree 4.2.0. Remove the lines regarding servers only and
kdrive. Keep the rest. It should build.

The last time I did it, few problems remained:
* some clients did not build versus the version of uclibc I used then
* xterm/rxvt had non functional keyboard (xkeysym pb): this might be fixed

Due to project constraints, I dropped it for glibc to get quickly to a
usable solution. I may give it another go in 1 or 2 weeks...

Rgds,
Christian