[uClibc]gettext, libiconv, glib

Ilguiz Latypov ilatypov at superbt.com
Tue Apr 23 19:01:29 UTC 2002

Hello,

I patched glib to compile for m68k platform and uClibc.  The testglib
application worked fine on the MCF5307 board.

However, testgdate and others will fail with the kernel error message
about the relocation problem.  Originally I thought that this is due to a
possible restriction on the static .data size.  So I started the lazy data
access support in the Unicode conversion modules but never finished it.
I intended to load the data on demand from a file.

I found that Erwin Authried has stumbled on the same rake:
    http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/archive/7694.html

Anyways, few applications built against glib worked well.  I haven't
tested this extensively.  I hope to receive the feedback.

I put the patches in

       http://superbt.ca/coldfire/external/

The patches were made against the latest gettext, libiconv and glib
distributions:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/
    http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/
    http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/glib/

However, there were updates since that time, so the patches may not apply
cleanly.  Don't be scared by their sizes, most of the size is just taken
by the removed auto-generated files.

I added make-uc shell scripts to start all autoconf utilities.  For glib,
the make-uc script will build the native (Intel) library first because the
library contains a couple of utilities (genmarshal.c, genobjects.c?) that
are used at compile time.

There was a similar problem with gettext, but I modified the make file to
use existing gettext utilities installed on the workstation.

The patches were made in assuption that the included "flags" script is
used (see readme-tools.txt).  Here is the way to run configure and make
commands:

    flags davidm uclibc ./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
                        --host=m68knommu-lineo-uclinux

    flags davidm uclibc make

You will have to adjust the paths to the m68k-elf-gcc tools and to the
uClibc library within the flags script.

--
Ilguiz Latypov
software developer

GMT-5 day time tel.   +1 (519) 569-7818

P.S.  Sorry, I haven't talked to my employer about the legitimacy of my
postings here.  I think that peer review is the major benefit of sharing
the source code.