[uClibc]C++ support

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Thu Apr 18 14:05:13 UTC 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 08:52:40AM -0600, spudmonkey at racsa.co.cr wrote:
> > > Finally, the question(s):  ...
> > > ... Has anyone put any effort into creating a uClibc aware
> > > libio?  Maybe a "uClibio?"
> >
> > To be honest, I'd not considered it.  I've still not figured
> > out _why_ one needs libio, since it just seems to be a wrapper
> > on top of stdio...
>
> That's the way I've thought about it.  I just want to resolve the
> undefined externals in libstdc++ without touching libstdc++.

I think you both have that backwards.  glibc's current stdio is a wrapper
around the libio routines.

I haven't really followed C++ development for a number of years (since
before templates were added to the language actually) but at least at
that time the core stream i/o functionality needed by C++ was (pretty
much) a superset of C's stdio.  My guess is that it was easier to implement
stdio as a wrapper around libio than it would have been to weld on the
missing bits to the older stdio implementation.

Manuel