[uClibc]C++ support

spudmonkey at racsa.co.cr spudmonkey at racsa.co.cr
Wed Apr 17 14:52:40 UTC 2002

> > 4. If you muck with gcc-2.95.3's makefile fragments, you can
> coerce it
> > to (try to) build libio.a and libstream.a using the source under
> the
> > gcc/libio directory.  But, the build fails because the glibc
> header
> > [[ *I can actually get libio and libstream to build if I get the
right
> > libio.h and libioP.h from the CVS attic.  I needs versions that are
> > over 3 years old! ]]
>
> Interesting.  Sounds like you have made it farther than I have
> then.  Once built, do things work?

I didn't even try it.  The libstdc++ code expects large file support
(_IO_off64_t's) and the libio code in gcc-2.95.3 doesn't have large
file support.

BTW:  I also have to disable multi-threading support because the libio
data structures for multi-threading support in the libio header files
are also incompatible with the libio source code.

Basically, I think the libio source code in gcc-2.95.3 is useless.

> > Finally, the question(s):  ...
> > ... Has anyone put any effort into creating a uClibc aware
> > libio?  Maybe a "uClibio?"
>
> To be honest, I'd not considered it.  I've still not figured
> out _why_ one needs libio, since it just seems to be a wrapper
> on top of stdio...

That's the way I've thought about it.  I just want to resolve the
undefined externals in libstdc++ without touching libstdc++.

> > ...Has anyone thought about a smaller
> > libstdc++? Would anyone be interested in collaborating in such
> efforts?
> I think an excellent place to start is http://www.stlport.org/
> which provides an open source ANSI C++ Standard Library
> implementation.  Certainly seems a good place to start.  I've not
> really tried it myself, but if someone were to figure out how to
> make it compile with uClibc (hint, hint) then we could eliminate
> the need to build gcc's libstdc++

If I get some free time, I'll look at.  I'd like to take you up on the
hint, but I don't think I'm going to have much free time in the near
future.

Greg Nutt