[uClibc]Problem with vfork() followed by exec() on Coldfire MCF5272

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Sep 12 17:10:56 UTC 2001

On Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 02:01:08PM +0000, David Neale wrote:
> Help!
>
> I'm having problems getting a vfork() followed by an exec() working in
>  uClinux on the Motorola Coldfire MCF5272, even with a trivial example
>  program.
>
> At the point of the exec something nasty happens and I get output similar to:
>
> bad frame format: 00000000
> PC: [<000b3938>]
> SR: 2000  SP: 002e1e68  a2: 00000034

Your stack got hosed.

> 7. I have tried 3 different libc libraries, which all give different
>    results(!!)  The library with my uClinux distribution doesn't support
>    vfork(), the one from m68k-elf tools falls over the moment I do an exec,
>    even without a vfork, so I am using a recent uClibc at present.

If the library from you uClinux distribution doesn't support vfork() I would
be _very_ _very_ surprised.  Previous versions of uClibc implement vfork()
as a macro.  The current uClibc uses a function call, and it _should_ work.

> I have rebuilt both uClibc and the kernel using latest snapshots (yesterday),
> with no difference (I have been using pretty recent versions all along).
>
> Looking at the file ..../uClibc/libc/sysdeps/linux/m68k/README.m68k, it seems
> that vfork has yet to be fixed (fixing vfork is on a to-do list).   Is the

That todo list is out of date...

> Are there any known kernel configurations (for example) that could cause a
> problem with vfork/exec?   Or is there another version of libc out there that
> will solve my problem?

Lets start from the beginning.  Where did you obtain your uClinux
distro from?  Toolchain?  I highly recommend that people starting
work on Coldfire should start with
	http://www.uclinux.org/ports/coldfire/binary.html

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee at debian.org, formerly of Lineo