[uClibc]Can uClibc be compiled by gcc-2.96?

kjlin kj.lin at viditec-netmedia.com.tw
Tue Sep 11 03:16:50 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Dawid" <od at fet.uni-hannover.de>
To: "kjlin" <kj.lin at viditec-netmedia.com.tw>
Cc: <uclibc at uclibc.org>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: [uClibc]Can uClibc be compiled by gcc-2.96?

> hi kjlin,
>
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, kjlin wrote:
>
> > I updated my gcc from 2.91 to 2.96.
> > Therefore, i have two libc.a.
> > One is made by gcc-2.91 and the other is by gcc-2.96.
> > But the libc.a made by gcc-2.96 seems not to work fine with floating
point.

> you know that the object code is not binary compatible?
>
> > If i link with the libc.a made by gcc-2.91 while compiling the code,
> > everything is fine.
>
> did you compile the object file with the gcc-2.91?
>
> > However, if link with the libc.a made by gcc-2.96, the output is error.
>
> and linked it with the gcc-2.96 compiler? if so, this cannot work due to
> the incompability of binary code.

Under gcc-2.96, if i compile an AP linking with the libc.a which builded by
gcc-2.91, the floating point output is ok.
But also under gcc-2.96, if i compile the same AP linking with the libc.a
which builded by gcc-2.96, the floating point output is error.
The result seems against the expectance.
However, the integer outputs are fine in both case.

BTW, in gcc version 2.96, there is no longer a va-mips.h(or va-alpha.h,
va-ppc.h,....) at the /usr/lib/gcc-lib/mips-linux/2.96/include(my
cross-compiler is mips-linux-gcc).
Therefore, when i building the libc.a by 2.96, i made a va-mips.h symbolic
link to /usr/lib/gcc-lib/mips-linux/2.96/include/stdarg.h.
I don't know whether it will influence the result mentioned above.

Thanks,
KJ