[uClibc]making regex smaller

David Kimdon dwhedon at gordian.com
Sat Sep 8 07:10:51 UTC 2001

Hi,

I was playing around with uclibc this evening.  I tried out the dietlibc regex
to see if it would be smaller than the current one.  It is a lot smaller, but
doesn't perform as well on the GNU grep testsuite.

   3649       0       0    3649     e41 regex.o
  23733       8     320   24061    5dfd regex.o

That is a lot smaller.

297 tests in the testsuite
231 failures with current regex
257 failures with dietlibc regex

Neither grep does all that well, I haven't looked much into where the failures
are coming from, that'll be for another day.

-David