[uClibc]Newbie problems. gethostbyname doesnt work on busybox/ucLibc

Marc Wetzel mw-se at t-online.de
Sun Oct 21 17:22:37 UTC 2001

>On Sun Oct 21, 2001 at 02:07:37PM +0200, root wrote:
>
>>I have setup a bare root filesystem using the image out of the busybox
>>buildroot script.
>>
>>the following code works on my suse-box  (static compiled to ucLibC)

>>    struct hostent *hostinfo;
>>
>>    hostinfo = gethostbyname (hostname);
>>
>>but fails to run on my busybox i386 embedded device. (illegal instruction)
>>
>>I also get the error "illegal instruction" if I use ping, ifconfig, route
>>the I think this is maybe a installation issue.
>>
>>Whats wrong with my box ?
>>

>Perhaps you have disabled floating point support in your kernel?
>It is really hard to know for certain.  Your toolchain could also
>be hosed,

Yes, I have disabled floating point in my kernel, and I've compiled the
fp-emulator into the kernel.
(I'm using a embedded device based on an i386ex processor)

the same kernel using a suse distribution (boot from harddisk) works
just fine.

Another possibility ? =>  I'm booting my "embedded" root partition via
nfs just fine (via kernel nfs) , so eth0 is working I suppose.

What should be in /etc/hosts, resolv.conf for a minimalistic configuration ?

All I want for now is: gethostbyname("localhost") to give me the right ip.

Sorry for my dumb questions, but I'm already searching for weeks for a
solution to this prob...

Greetings
Marc