[uClibc]GNU binutils compiled against uClibc

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Nov 21 09:37:26 UTC 2001

On Mon Nov 12, 2001 at 03:48:59PM +0000, Brian Stafford wrote:

> I changed features.h to do this as follows :-
>
> $ diff features.h /usr/local/i386-linux-uclibc/include
> 266c266
> < #if !defined _LIBC || defined __FORCE_GLIBC__
> ---
> > #if !defined __FORCE_NOGLIBC__ && (!defined _LIBC || defined
> __FORCE_GLIBC__)
>
> Then I added -D__FORCE_NOGLIBC__ to the CFLAGS when configuring
> binutils.  I can't say I'm happy with this solution but it works for
> me.  I'd rather see uClibc not pretend to be GNU libc.

I think your patch looks fine.  applied.

I wish we could get by without pretending to be glibc.  For about
99% on the apps in the world, pretending to be glibc ends up
being a win.  I'd love to come up with a better way to cope.
This way seemed the simplest route with the biggest return on
investent...

> Aside from having a set of GNU tools linked with uClibc which is nice,
> installing the resulting build and updating the softlinks in the
> uClibc development bin (/usr/local/i386-linux-uclibc/bin on my devt
> system) to the binaries from the newly built binutils completely solves
> the problem of configure scripts finding libraries which depend on
> GNU libc.

I'd like to get to where this is the standard way of doing things
with uClibc (i.e. building binutils and gcc).  That will also let
me avoid re-writing libstdc++.  I may be foolish, but even I am
not _that_ foolish.  I think.

> Finally a polite request
>
> Can we have an implementation of getaddrinfo()?  It's RFC 2553 and Posix,
> protocol independent and the API is intrinsically thread safe.  The
> gethostbyname[1..n] interface is dismal to program by comparison and is
> completely non-portable especially in threaded code (consider
> gethostbyname_r).

I'd love to add it.  I'm sortof swamped at the moment though,
so if you can send me a patch you will have it ASAP.  Otherwise
it will be when I get to it...