[uClibc]Unimplemented feature sets.

Brian Stafford brian.stafford at office-logic.com
Thu Nov 15 13:38:51 UTC 2001

On Thu, 15 November 12:51 Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 12:41:21PM +0000, Brian Stafford wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been compiling a number of programs against uClibc recently and I'm
> > impressed by its quality so far.
> >
> > I do, however, have an issue with the unimplemented features of the
> library.
> >
> > The problem is that the standard header files declare functions/variables
> > that are not actually present in the library.  Although this is mostly
> > harmless, it does confuse programs that use autoconf et al. to determine
> > features present in the system.  The problem is this: autoconf correctly
> [------------snip-------------]
> >
> > Obviously none of this is difficult to do but it will be a tedious process
> > to complete.  I am happy to do this for the parts of the library that have
> > been problematic to me, however I doubt I will have the time to do a
> > complete job.  I would also like to be assured that any changes will make
> > their way into the distribution in time.  Would anyone like to coordinate
> on
> > this task?
>
> I'm happy to merge in patches to features.h that identify and
> disable missing stuff.  I'm also _very_ interested in knowing
> exactly what is breaking.

OK, my immediate problem is the lack of getaddrinfo and associated functions
described in RFC 2553 and Posix (I forget the exact posix version).

This has prevented the IPv6 programs in the linux iptables utility suite from
compiling, though IP4 code is no problem.  Additionally, I've been trying to
build openssh-2.5.2p1, this is the program that confuses configure about the
presence of getaddrinfo().  To start on openssh, I needed to build openssl and
zlib, neither of which posed any problems at all.

> Also if you have any apps that are _not_ working, I want to hear
> about them so I can either fix things or at least add them to the
> not working list on
>     http://uclibc.org/uClibc-apps.html

I have sucessfully built all the util-linux-2.11m programs (both static and
dynamic links), however simpleinit doesn't work too well - it seems to have
trouble with reaping dead processes.  This manifests itself by struggling to
work its way through the rc scripts.  Because I was in a hurry, I worked
around the problem by statically linking with GNU libc, though the resulting
binary is huge.  I think the problem might be related to sigsetjmp and calling
siglongjmp inside the SIGCHLD handlet but I need to investigate this more.

To date I've built and run

GNU binutils-2.11.2	(see my message of 12 November to the list)
boa-0.94.11		(Boa is a small web server)
busybox (CVS)
e2fsprogs-1.25
iptables-1.2.4		(with the exception of the IP6 programs)
lilo-22.1
ncurses-1.9.9e
tinylogin (CVS)
zlib-1.1.3
util-linux-2.11m	(with the exception of the utilities provided by
tinylogin
			 and simpleinit)
openssl-0.9.6b		(static link only, complies successfully, "make test"
works
			 through all the cipher tests and SSL via sockets but
fails
		     on SSL via BIO pair test.  Not yet linked with final
apps).

Brian Stafford