[uClibc]troubles with Busybox and latest uClibc CVS snapshot

'Wayne Buckhanan' buck at andrews.edu
Thu May 31 20:41:55 UTC 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:32:09PM -0400, Tom Cameron wrote:
> 	As far as running ldd on these apps, it will NOT work unless you
> have installed the uClibc libraries on the host machine.  Basically, what's
> happening is when you compile BusyBox and TinyLogin vs. uClibc, we're
> telling them to link against uClibc's libraries, and that their "eventual"
> location will be /lib.  When you run ldd, what you're seeing is ldd looking
> for the libraries in /lib...and they're not there.
> 	Oh, one more thing, if you're trying to run the programs (BB and/or
> Tinylogin) on the host machine and haven't installed the libraries on it (to
> /lib), then you're S.O.L. too, for the same reasoning as the LDD problem.
> Good luck, and keep us posted.

I get the fact that busybox and tinylogin can't find the uClibc shared
libs, I'm just surprised that you can't run the executables at all if
the libs are not in /lib.  I've had other programs that were dynamically
linked against libraries that were not installed on the system and as
long as I set $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the dir that had those shared
libs things worked.  Mind you I've never tried it with the C lib before
so mebee that's the difference.

> 	Now, that being said, if you were to run ldd on the target machine,
> you would get the expected results, hopefully.  (Un?)fortunately, BusyBox
> does NOT have an LDD built in, so you're out of luck on this one.  Anyway, I
> just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for the heads up.
Are there any plans towards creating tools like ldd, readelf, etc that
are based on uClibc or should it just be a matter of swiping the source
from the glibc versions and compiling it against uClibc?
Mebee I'll look into that this weekend.
My goal is still to have a small C compiler on my embedded system so I
can compile things natively (or should that be naively?! :).

I'm willing and able to host a location where we can list what apps have
been compiled against uClibc (and what version/date of uClibc), any
special instructions needed for specific apps, general guidelines
when tracking down missing symbols, etc...
Those who [are interested/have compiled things/think it's a stupid idea]
please feel free to email me (I don't know if it's appropriate to
clutter this list with unless Erik wants it directly on the uClibc
pages).

Thanks for the patience as I dive head long into this bleeding edge
project :)

Wayne Buckhanan					buck at andrews.edu
Piro:				Largo:
"Why are you naked?"		"One must take drastic measures to prevent
				static discharge.  Care must be taken to
(Visit Piro and Largo at	preserve the purity of these components."
http://www.megatokyo.com)	"PH34R MY L33T N3KKID SKILLZ!!!"