[uClibc]cvs diff doesn't work?

David McCullough davidm at lineo.com
Wed May 30 00:39:04 UTC 2001

Jivin Andreas Neuhaus lays it down ...
> > > ~/uClibc > cvs diff README
> > > ~/uClibc >
> > CVS is doing just what you asked it to.  It is showing you the difference
> > between your working revision and rev 1.1 in the repository.  It is a bit
> > counter-intuitive...
> > Presumably you want to check the difference between your working revision
> and
> > the latest and greatest in CVS.  What you want to type is 'cvs -r HEAD
> [file]'.
>
> hmm... and i thought it always compares my working revision with the HEAD

'cvs diff' always diffs against the revision you checked out.
'cvs update' checks against the HEAD unless of course you have a sticky
version on that file (ie., you checked out a specific version with
something like cvs update -r1.2 fred.c).

> revision (all other cvs servers i know do)... but now i know it, it's not a
> problem anymore, thanks a lot...

I have seen exactly this problem when the date stamps on the files in my
tree are not correct.  CVS will think it has to commit changes when the
diff actually show no change.

I suspect that if you 'touch file' and this do the 'cvs update -n' it will
think it has to do something with that file even though nothing has
changed.

If you want to see whats changed use 'cvs diff -rHEAD' and you will never
get tricked up ;-)

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough:  Ph: +61 7 3435 2815  Lineo (The Embedded Solutions Company)
davidm at lineo.com   Fx: +61 7 3891 3630  PO Box 925, Kenmore QLD 4069, Australia