[uClibc]gcc --with-newlib vs. uClibc

Geir Frode Raanes geirfrs at invalid.ed.ntnu.no
Tue May 29 15:17:43 UTC 2001

There are some GCC wrapper discussions on this list.
This have me thinking of a documentation project I put
to rest some time ago, namely documenting the guts of
GCC. I came a (for me) long way but not even close to
the finish line. Mostly because the GCC sourcecode
eventually went over my head. But I would still like
to finish that project.

What bothered me the most was GCC persistent
dependency of a present libc. And the fact that
"--with-newlib" was a way around this even if no
Newlib was present. Or better still if its dirctories
was linked into the GCC source directory. How does this
relate to uClibc? I mean - uClibc is much prefered over
both Newlib and GLibC for embedded use.

What I have already written is in Norwegian, but I
have put some of the figures out on the net. So I
would really appreciate it if the Know-How could
take a look and tell me if this is on the right track:

http://invalid.ed.ntnu.no/~geirfrs/GCC/GCC-architecture.html

  Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
  -Robert Anson Heinlein

		GeirFRS at invalid.and.so.forth