[uClibc]small open source compilers to go with uClibc?

Wayne Buckhanan buck at andrews.edu
Thu Mar 22 21:29:23 UTC 2001

hello.
I'm working on a project where I have an 8M DiskOnChip and about 3M of a
4M flash available on a pc104 x86 system.  I'm trying to get a
reasonable set of tools into the 8-11M available.

While busybox, tinylogin, e3, and uClibc have already gotten me quite a
ways (thanks Erik for 3/4 :) I'm hoping to be able to do some
programming native on the system.  I have high hopes for being able to
shrink the 18M or so of perl into about 3M but I am not thinking it's
very likely that I will be able to slim gcc down very far on my own.

I was wondering if anyone here has a C compiler they are using native on
the uClibc systems or if it is all being done via cross-compilation.
The closest things I have found to what I'm looking for are lcc which
is not really open source, but is ANSI C compliant and EiC which is a C
interpreter and is under the Artistic Licence (better, but not really
open).  I may seem a little hung up on the open source part but if I'm
going to put all my energy into hacking on some code I don't want the
possibility of that work going *poof* based on other ppl's whims.

Any thoughts would be very welcomed.
Thanks.

Wayne Buckhanan					buck at andrews.edu
Piro:				Largo:
"Why are you naked?"		"One must take drastic measures to prevent
				static discharge.  Care must be taken to
(Visit Piro and Largo at	preserve the purity of these components."
http://www.megatokyo.com)	"PH34R MY L33T N3KKID SKILLZ!!!"