[uClibc]uClibc compilation problem

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Mon Mar 19 18:26:30 UTC 2001

On Mon Mar 19, 2001 at 12:10:15PM -0600, James Graves wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, David Beamonte wrote:
>
> > I have downloaded the version of uClibc from
> > ftp://uclibc.org/uClibc-snapshot.tar.gz, which is supposed to be a
> > recent version of the library. The platform I'm working with is based on
> > a 68EZ328, so I need to use the m68k-pic-coff-gcc compiler.
> >
> > I have modified the Config, Rules.mak in order to use the correct
> > cross-compiler and point to the appropriate directories, but I am given
> > the following error when reaching the compilation of  "string/strtok_r.c":
> >
> > /tmp/ccNxBbdI.s: Assembler messages:
> > /tmp/ccNxBbdI.s:50: Error: Unknown pseudo-op:	'.weak'
> >
> > Certainly I must be missing some step but I can't figure out what is
> > it. Hope somebody can help me.
>
> The m68k-pic-coff toolchain doesn't support weak references.  Here's my
> last message about the subject:
>
> 	http://uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2001-March/000541.html
>
> Dave posted some info recently on the uClinux-dev list about his work
> on the ELF toolchain, which doesn't have this problem.

Right.  On March 15th, David McCullough <davidm at lineo.com> released the
m68k-elf tools for uClinux
    http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/archive/1698.html

So with those tools now other there I am officially declaring uClibc support
for coff toolchains is now dead, dead, dead.  There is no reason to continue
using coff toolchains.  Having all arches use elf toolchains has tons of
advantages, and no real disadvantages (esp since on uClinux, the binaries get
munged into binformat_flat binaries before running on the target, so there is
not even a size penalty for the ELF header).

This also frees us to save space, when appropriate, by careful use of weak
symbols.  For the record, I am not a big fan of weak symbols.  But there are a
number of cases where using them is the Right Thing(tm) and will make the
library smaller.

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com