[uClibc]Re: success: busybox + uClibc

Wolfgang Klier wklier at cosy.sbg.ac.at
Mon Mar 12 02:16:47 UTC 2001

> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 03:53:38 -0500
> From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com>
> To: andersen at codepoet.org
> Subject: [uClibc]success: busybox + uClibc
>
> uClibc is the greatest.  You, sir, have shown me the way.

Agreed :)

> My single floppy firewall now contains:
> 	/lib/ld-2.1.3.so
> 	/lib/libuClibc.so
> 	/bin/busybox
> 	/bin/tinylogin
> 	/usr/bin/ssh and /usr/bin/scp
> 	/usr/sbin/sshd
>
> I can successfully ssh in and out of the firewall, with libuClibc as the
> only shared library..  something I never thought I would accomplish on a
> floppy.  ssh -and- sshd are huge.

Did you compile ssh with uClibc ? If so please let me know how.

> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:26:38 -0700
> From: Erik Andersen <andersen at lineo.com>
> To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com>
> Cc: andersen at codepoet.org
> Subject: Re: [uClibc]success: busybox + uClibc
>
> <grin>.  The most linux on a floppy disk indeed!  I think you may need to
> reserve some of that 200k for netfilter or ipchains though. ;-)

Iptables uses dynamic loading for nearly all functionality and I haven't found a way to make
it link statically.(judging from the Makefiles and the init code in each libipt file I don't
think it's planned) Have any of you tried to compile iptables ? Or is it maybe possible to
compile libdl with uClibc ?

Ipchains would be much simpler (I think) but there seems to be some network functionality
missing.(It can't find getnetbyaddr) And the original in glibc is to complicated for me to
try to use.