i386 vfork bug -- was Re: [uClibc]popen failing on i386 -- vfork issue?

Manuel Novoa III mnovoa3 at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 2 16:58:25 UTC 2001

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> call generates a SIGPIPE.  What am I missing?  Why should this work with vfork
> at all?

Ok... I know what was missing above.  I missed the part about the parent
continuing execution when the child does an execve.

However, vfork on i386 is definitely broken.  A test program to illustrate this
is attached.  The child executes but the parent segfaults.

As a temporary work-around, I'm making vfork on i386 a weak alias for fork.

Manuel