[uClibc]odd output on ppc

Justin (Gus) Hurwitz ghurwitz at dyndns.com
Tue Jun 26 10:02:44 UTC 2001

I'm using a CVS snapshot downloaded last Thursday or Friday. I should
mention that I am running over a serial console, and that the terminal
program that I am using displays many unprintable characters as ".", so
all of the "."s that I'm getting are unfortunately probably more
sensically unsensical that I can tell- ie, if there is an endian problem
somewhere, most characters would likely end up in a non-printable range
and therefore would end up as "."s on my terminal.

I've been trying to work my way through the source to see if I can find
the problem and/or find ways to debug.

Ideas would be more than welcome :) Right now I'm contemplating trying to
modify the actual function that does the output to do the output in binary
(choosing two characters that I know my terminal will display differently
to represent 1 and 0) so that I can figure out what character is trying to
be displayed. But that will unfortunately be a time consuming process
(each compile will then need to be compiled into a test program which will
need to be added to my ramdisk which will need to be compiled into the
kernel which will need to be transferred to our debugger and converted to
it's BDM format and written to the board's memory and then I can actually
boot the kernel! I can't get a better solution working until I have a
working libc :-/

Thanks,
--Gus

(PS- perhaps someone could send me (or put somewhere) a binary compile for
ppc that I could try to see if that works (in case the problem is with the
board somehow (which is could be- more specifically, there could be memory
coherency problems between the libc functions and the kernel (this is
unlikely, especially since I have another minimal libc implimentation that
does work, but worth testing))))