[uClibc]Todo & Thanks

Shane Nay shane at minirl.com
Fri Jun 15 05:26:51 UTC 2001

uClibc'ers...,

First, a big thank you is in order.  I must say that I'm terribly impressed
with uClibc.  5 minutes after pulling down the cvs copy I was up and running
with applications on uClibc.  I had a little detour where I had confused the
variables, but a little readelf and looking at the requesting interprettor
fixed me up in seconds.  It appears that Erik has saved my *ss again... :).
(When I was at Agenda, without BusyBox we would have officially been screwed
and would have had to add tons more flash to the device and driven up the
user price)  Now I'm doing something way more embedded and only have 4Megs to
work with, and busybox and uClibc will really really help out.  (Sorry, I
don't know the other developers by name yet, but thanks to them, and the orig
libc4 & other areas code was borrowed from)

Okay, with that done, down to work.  I've finally convinced
management/manufacturing that we need an MMU on that ARM chip, so we've
targetted CLPS7212 as our target CPU.  (Does anyone know what the dev boards
cost btw?, I'd rather buy my own because I hate giving them back when the
project is over)  So, now with an ARM and a MMU, what work is there to do on
uClibc to use it in a production enviroment?  Not necessarily specific to
ARM, but just in the library itself?  Initially I'll be more focussed on just
getting the dev boards and whole system up and running, but after that I'll
have to loop back to help bring the system into place.  I realize that uClibc
is probably not ready for a production system, so which areas need work to
bring it to this level?, is there a list?  I'm happy to help in anyway that I
can, and I have done quite a bit of work on glibc2.0.7 and some on gcc in the
past, so I think I can help out.

I noticed from Erik's comments on the webpage that the parent of uClibc is
probably libc4.  Now, with libc4 the library/ABI system was a very fancy
version of statically located libraries.  Is that the case with uClibc's
version of shared libs?  (I'm guessing not because I see a ".plt" section in
the executables output, but you can never be too sure :)  Or is it more
similar to SVR4 PIC library system?  (Sorry, coming from MIPS world where it
would be called MIPS SVR4 ABI, not sure what to call it in a cross platform
sense)

Thank You,
Shane Nay.