[uClibc]trouble with dynamic libuClibc.so (digest)

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Wed Feb 28 14:59:23 UTC 2001

On Wed Feb 28, 2001 at 03:52:12PM +0100, Bjorn Eriksson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Erik Andersen wrote:
> >
> >After investigating a bit, I noticed that 'ldd ./busybox' showed that it was
> >only linked with uClibc, not with the shared lib loader, so there was no way it
> >could have worked.
>
>  Ouch, I think I've seen that before on my own system but didn't have
> the time to investigate it further.
>
>  But... how can the busybox binary can be loaded from a shell if it
> isn't linked to the shared lib loader? And how is the different from
> 'init'? (They're both exec*() calls, right?)

Well, I believe the reason it worked on the desktop is that the shred lib
loader was already in memory, so it automagically did its fixups, even though
we didn't explicitly load it.  But that was just luck...  In the case of init,
the shared lib loader is certainly not in memory, so if we don't explicitly
load it, missing symbols (such as the entire C library) don't get loaded and so
it doesn't work.

Anyways, everything should be fine now since now the compiler will do the right
thing.

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com