[uClibc]sshd/telnetd

Jason Luther jason at airwave.com
Mon Dec 17 23:27:48 UTC 2001

From: "Stefan Soucek" <ssoucek at coactive.com>:
> Telnetd uses tinylogin (or more accurate /bin/login) to give you a system
logon.
> When you get an accepted connection that is immediately dropped, this has
most
> likely to do with login. Another source of trouble can be the pty/tty
combination.
> Do you have enough pty's (or any) in /dev ? Also when using devfs, you'll
need to
> patch telnetd to accept the new /dev/pty/* scheme.

Telnetd works about half the time. I can successfully log in, get a shell,
do stuff, and log out. Other times, the connection gets dropped at a random
point throughout the login process (usually when I'm typing in my password).

I'm using devfs, but I'm running the devfs daemon, so I don't need to patch
it. I did have that problem before, but I figured it out. :) If you don't
have enough pty's, you get the "All network ports in use" message (which I
think is a misleading error message).

I've included my patch that removes anything related to NIS/YP stuff from
the devfsd build, which makes it easier to get it working with uClibc. It's
applied to devfsd version 1.3.20. It works for me, but YMMV.

> As a starting point I suggest printf()'ing something to stdout. This
should appear
> on the connecting side and you may proceed to the point where trouble is
lurking.
> If you like I can also mail you our telnetd archive which works on an
non-MMU ARM
> system.

I am hoping that someone will have a magical URL that points to a copy of
telnetd that is known to work well with uClibc. Failing that, I'll figure
out what's wrong with the one I'm using and put it up somewhere. But I'm
doing the best I can to be lazy. :)

Thanks for your offer--I would like to try out your telnetd. You can send it
to this address.

> My 2-cents,
> -Stefan

Thanks for the info.