[uClibc]mke2fs build against uClibc

Anders Eriksson aer-list at mailandnews.com
Sat Aug 18 15:39:25 UTC 2001

> --- Anders Eriksson <aer-list at mailandnews.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well there is ramfs, tmpfs, romfs and cramfs it all depends on what you
> > want to achieve.
>
> Well, I have an embedded system that I am developing that is diskless - it
> just has a small flash(read only) with the kernel and intrd and it has 32
> Mb of SDRAM.  It will be recording some atmospheric data collected by a
> sensor connected to one of its 2 serial ports.  It will have a reliable,
> continuous power supply and every few months I want to go physically to
> the device and plug a serial line into the other serial port and retrieve
> the data.  I want the data to be stored on a ramdisk (seems like the
> best/only? solution given my hardware) so it needs to be a read/write fs
> (cramfs is read only right?)  I was reading a ramdisk howto and it (albeit
> it was a few years old) recommened mke2fs for the ramdisk.
>
> Any suggections?

I'm not a hw guy, but I take it you have a read-only flash (or a small amount of it r/w) and "loads" of DRAM. In that case I'd recommend tmpfs. It lives entirely in dram and has no backing store on block device. It can be configured to not grow beyond a cetaing size, so if you have an estimate of your working set's dram requirements, you can make sure your app won't run out of memory just because your log files have gown (too) large.

tmpfs is just a kernel option away, then do
mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /tmp
and your set. No need to mkfs it.

/Anders