[uClibc]uClibc Basic Questions, on uCsimm

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue Aug 14 19:41:46 UTC 2001

On Tue Aug 14, 2001 at 12:05:02PM -0400, Larry Gray wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I'm still having problems, so I decided to start from scratch. I'm using
> uClinux 2.0.38.1Pre5 on an uCsimm module. I've reinstalled everything from
> the Lineo CD, with the following exceptions; didn't install uc-libc or
> uc-libm, both should be replaced with uClibc, correct? I also installed
> m68k-pic32-coff-gcc-2.7.2.3-2.i386.rpm in place of
> m68k-pic-coff-gcc-2.7.2.3-1.i386.rpm to correct the 32k limitation.
> 	I downloaded the latest snapshot of uClibc (actually its now two days old),
> and tried several options in the Config file, which leads to my questions.
>
> 1. I would like to keep using the existing m68k-pic-coff-gcc, so I need to
> compile uClibc with CROSS = m68k-pic-coff-, correct?

yup.  Make sure those tools are in your PATH as well...

> 2. Since I want PIC I should set DOPIC = true, correct?

Hmm.  Enabling DOPIC will add "-fPIC" to the compile options.
I am guessing that you should _not_ enable this, since the compiler
will probably do this automagically.  But I must admit to being
unsure, since I am not familiar with what this compiler is doing.

> 3. I'm confused about the directory structure. Since I want to use
> m68k-pic-coff, shouldn't DEVEL_PREFIX be set to this? Also, since I want only
> standalone executables, I shouldn't need to install the target runtime
> environment?

Since you are building only static libs, you are correct that you do
not need to install the target runtime environment.  You can set
DEVEL_PREFIX to point anywhere you want it to go...  Someplace like
/opt/uClinux/m68k-pic-coff might be nice, but it doesn't much matter
where you install it to.

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com