[uClibc]Posix threads

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Wed Jul 5 20:07:42 UTC 2000

On Wed Jul 05, 2000 at 02:28:09PM -0400, Sébastien Côté wrote:
> Hi,

Howdy.

> I'd like to know if uC-Libc supports Posix threads ?

Not at the moment.  I would not recomment it for threading at
the moment.

> And what is the current status of this library ?

The short answer is that you don't want to use it yet for most production stuff
-- mostly due to missing functions in uC-Libc.  The stuff that is already
implemented should all be fine, so if your app compiles, and having it
statically linked is ok then you are in business.

uC-Libc is coming along, but it is still very much a work in progress.  As an
indicator, while simple apps such as hello world compile and run, more complex
apps are likely to have difficulties.  For example, only about half of BusyBox
currently compiles and runs. But the stuff that does compile is _very_ small.
For example, Busybox with cat, chroot, clear, free, ls, ps, pwd, and rm
compiled in is 22k compiled statically vs uC-Libc.  The same set of apps
compiled vs GNU libc 2.1.3 is 257k statically linked (15k dynamically linked).
So the stuff that costs you 242k with GNU libc costs just 7k with uC-Libc.

Right now, uC-Libc is only a static library.  I plan on implementing shared
library support as time permits.

> Is it fairly easy to port an application from glibc to uC-Libc ?

My evil plan is to make it so that no application changes will be needed.

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com